Monday, August 22, 2011

DeCaLiBron Part 2


I took off from the trailhead at 5:30am. The hike up to the Democrat/Cameron saddle was familiar and I was excited to turn right up to Cameron instead of turning left up to Democrat. This also put me ahead of all the other hikers and allowed me to have all three summits to myself. I was unable to beat my previous time of one hour from trailhead to saddle. Therefore, I can only assume this is the current world record time.




The trek up to the summit of Cameron was tough. I felt that it took me at least an hour but I was pleasantly surprised to summit at 7am. The summit of Cameron is as flat as a pancake with no features.







Lincoln seemed far, far away from the summit of Cameron but I was on top in no time (7:30am). Lincoln was much more of a “mountain” summit as it was very prominent. There were also two USGS markers on the summit.






From Lincoln you must descend down to the Lincoln/Bross saddle. The ascent of Bross is very unappealing. Bross is a mining meca so it is littered with mines and the roads needed to get the workers to these mines. In fact, the trail up Bross is more of a jeep road than trail. I gained the summit of Bross at 8:00am.




The descent of Bross is miserable. The trail is steep and it is littered with small loose rocks. If not careful, you can slip very easily. This loose talus slope is the majority of the descent. Finally, I left the slopes of Bross for the remainder of the hike back to Kite Lake.




I reached the car at 9:15am for a total time of 3 hours and 45 minutes. Pretty good considering my first 14er took something around 8 hours. On the drive home, I stumbled across a pair of baby foxes and I tried to get a couple pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment